I am a development practitioner with over 15-years experience across non-governmental organizations, bilateral and multilateral development agencies.
An applied social and political scientist, I have contributed to and learned from implementing over 40 development cooperation programs and projects addressing across natural resource management and poverty alleviation. Prolonged country-visits include Burkina Faso, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, India, Jordan, Kyrgyz Republic, Laos PDR, Liberia, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Oman, Rwanda, Sri Lanka, South Africa and Uganda.
I specialize in systemic and programmatic management, integrated governance approaches as well as system-wide and sustainable human and institutional capacity development that interdependently empower people, strengthen institutions and sharpen policies.
My methodological expertise includes applying and facilitating participatory, demand-driven (i.e. “bottom-up”) and empowering development methods to achieve more transformative, country-driven and sustainable results at scale.
Experience taught me that any desired changes and lasting effects will not be achieved without applying a comprehensive, needs-based and empowering capacity development approach that is owned and driven by country stakeholders.
Current thematic focus areas include:
- integrated natural resource management
- climate change adaptation and mitigation
- climate smart agriculture
- sustainable food and agriculture
- Biodiversity and ecosystem services
- landscape-level nexus between biodiversity conservation and agriculture
- governance of tenure with multi-stakeholder and multi-sector governance
- social protection
- agricultural innovation systems
- sustainable development goals (SDGs)
- the role of information and communication technologies (ICTs) as a catalyzing tool for socio-economic and political development.
I am currently working at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in the Climate, Biodiversity, Land and Water Department contributing to more sustainable (a) eradication of hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition, (b) elimination of poverty and (c) management and utilization of natural resources for the benefit of present and future generations.
Linked-In Profile: https://it.linkedin.com/in/patrick-kalas-b154b41